Changing Jabber IDs

I’ve shuffled some domains around, using less of enc.com.au and more of my new domain dropbear.xyz The website should work with both, but the primary domain is dropbear.xyz

 

Another change is my Jabber ID which used to be csmall at enc but now is same username at dropbear.xyz I think I have done all the required changes in prosody for it to work, even with a certbot certificate!

Renaming RoseNMS

Today I have pushed all (or hopefully all) the required differences in the source files to change the name of the project.  Originally it was called Rosenberg NMS, named after a lizard or heath monitor that lives in this parts.  The name was cute but cumbersome.

I’ve cut it down now to just RoseNMS with no space in between. This will also fix the nightmare of using a space, hyphen or underscore in various pieces of the code. All three were used but with no space in between, there is no confusion.

The site URL remains the same at https://rmns.org/ however the read-the-docs url has changed to fit with the new name: https://rosenms.readthedocs.org/

How not to get Galaxy Tab into Safe Mode

For weeks my Galaxy Tab 10.1 has reasonably consistently gone into safe mode. Not booting into it but I’d use it fine then put it away and next time I looked at it, Safe Mode was there. It wasn’t every time, but averaged to be about every second time.

So the first thing was a bit of googling to see what this Safe Mode was. Most of the suggestions were around how to put it into safe mode during the boot process but my problem was opposite; it wasn’t during booting and I wanted something to stop safe mode, not put the device into it. The closest I got to it was there was some misbehaving program that kicked the thing into safe mode.

The problem was, I checked several times and there were no running programs. I really did start to worry I had a hardware fault or something wrong deep within the OS.

When you have problems in IT, you’re usually asked “What’s new? What’s changed?”. The answer is generally “Nothing” which gets a switch “No really, what did change”. The only answer I could come up with was a hardware keyboard. This slim aluminum uses bluetooth to communicate to the tablet and clips onto the front screen to protect it when not in use. Could this be the change I was looking for?

The clue was that sometimes when you boot Android, if you hold down some keys it boots into safemode. It seems that holding down some combination of keys (volume up/down, power) puts into safe mode. The keyboard can clip onto the tablet in two ways, one long edge has some raised edges while one doesn’t. If the raised edge was connected to the same side as the buttons, I’d get safe mode sometimes as the edge pushed some of those buttons. More importantly, putting the raised edge on the side with no buttons meant no more safe mode.

Not really a software or electrical fault, more one of just mechanics.

 

Rnms now using TurboGears 2.3.2

While the website might of been idle there has been a great deal of work behind the scenes (unless you’re looking at github) updating and improving RoseNMS, the python based Network Management System. The code has had a great many changes including:

  • Updating the TurboGears based code to 2.3.2
  • Simplifying the admin back to TG standard using the Twitter Bootstrap option
  • Making several GUI changes to make it easier to switch screens or get more information
  • Update to the pysnmp module to the latest, which is a much better module
  • Changing from paste to cliff for the command lines and bringing it all into one binary

I’m hoping to get to release one in the next few months. The back-end is largely complete with some work required on the daemon and also more webGUI work to make sure its easy to get the right information at the right time.

 

WordPress 3.9.1

The Debian package of WordPress version 3.9.1 was uploaded to the ftp master recently.  While the update was pretty simple, the upload took a lot more doing. I’m not sure why the Debian ftp-master server didn’t like me, but it was so slow. Strangely, even dcut uploads were slow and they are only a few lines of text.

Apologies for the delay too, I’m not sure why I didn’t notice the update from 3.9 to 3.9.1 but there you go.

The other change is that the package uses the system CA certificates rather than the ones pre-shipped with wordpress. This is done so that if the administrator makes decisions on what certificates to trust, then the wordpress client http libraries will follow that decision.